Cannabutter (cannabis infused butter) is one of the most popular cannabis edibles people make at home, often using the extra shakes and leftovers from their flowers.
If you want to make it yourself, here is a basic canna butter recipe to get you started on your edibles journey. There are a few tricks you need to know in order to get the most THC out of your butter so follow along and give your next bagel a heady boost.
Decarboxylation: That’s The Ticket
Essentially, heating the flowers at a low temperature to extract it’s psychoactive powers. We will get into this later.
Basic Cannabutter Recipe
Fat is an excellent carrier for THC and other cannabinoids. Besides butter, fats like olive oil or coconut oil are commonly used for edible cannabis infusions.
1 cup grass fed or premium butter
1 cup water of decarboxylated ground cannabis (7-10 grams)
Clean jar: mason canning jar can be used
The first step is to decarboxylate, or “decarb” the cannabis flower. Without decarboxylating your weed first you will get a weak or inactive butter.
- Decarb Your Cannabis In the Oven
Place your cannabis on a non stick cookie sheet in a pre heated 245 degree oven and cover with parchment paper.
- Gently mix the buds every 10 minutes so the all buds’ surface area is fully exposed.
- Grind the decarboxylated cannabis coarsely with a grinder.
- Melt the grass fed butter by putting 1 cup of water and 1 cup of butter into a stock pot or saucepan. Simmer on low until butter is melted.
- Add the decarboxylated cannabis as the butter melts.
- Make sure the stove is set at less than 200 degrees F and simmer the mixture for 2 to 3 hours, making sure to never let the mixture boil. Low and slow is the way.
- After butter mixture has cooled, strain the cannabutter mixture over a cheesecloth covered jar. Do not squeeze the cheesecloth to prevent bitter weed tastes from passing through.
- Now just refrigerate the jar of butter. If there is excess water, just wait till the butter solidifies then remove the solid butter and drain the water.
Watch Your Dose
Homemade cannabutter and edibles in general are difficult to guage exact dosage. There is no precise way to predict dosage for each batch so the rule, just as in making the butter is to go low and slow. Potency also depends on the strain and how long it was cooked. Start with a low dosage and wait to see the effects. Try 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon on some toast first. Wait an hour to see it’s effects and then use this as a baseline standar for your cooking use.
This Post Has One Comment
Pingback: Cannabis Rice Krispies Squares Recipe - Buybudnow.co